called the doctors this morning they told me to give my 11 day old baby apple juice an ounce cause of constipation! now i'm scared, was this safe??

2 doctor answers
Dr. Brad Goldenberg
35 years experience Pediatrics
Small amount: Fruit juice is a harmless and useful therapy for constipation, and an ounce of Apple juice is not a cause for alarm. I would be careful about the amount of juice administered, which in this case, is within acceptable limits by itself...
Answered on May 31, 2015
45 years experience Pediatrics
Yes: The sugars in apple or prune juice are not absorbed as well in young infants which helps them work like an adults laxative. I routinely use an ounce up to 3 times a day to get a kid unstuck.
Answered on Jun 28, 2016