U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
OH
A member asked:

how comes my seizures are not showing on eeg? seems like the doctors think i'm faking them when i really can't comtrol when or why i have them.

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. William Singer
Pediatric Neurology 51 years experience
EEG not reliable: EEG is not as definitive as people think. 50% of individuals with seizures will have a normal EEG the first tracing. 80% yield occurs after 4 EEG's, but that leaves 20% who have normal EEG's unless they are recorded during a seizure. Speak to your doctor about a 24 hour EEG which can take place in the hospital or as an outpatient. This might have a greater yield of abnormalities.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month
Last updated Mar 25, 2015
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits
$15 per month

Disclaimer:

Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.