United Kingdom

I'm having my wisdom teeth removed on thursday with general anasthetic. i've been smoking, had my last one today, can i use an electric cigarettes?

Dr. Garry Shulman
Anesthesiology 29 years experience
Smoking : stopping smoking is always a good idea before anaesthesia. Stopping for two weeks improves your lung cillia, and 24 hrs will clear the carbon monoxide from your blood. You could still use electric cigarettes to help with your nicotine addiction. Just mention it to you anaesthesia team
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 42 years experience
Better not to: The main reason for not smoking after extractions is the risk of pulling out the blood clot by creating a vacuum dragging on the cigarette. Same applies to electric one. Another reason is that the tars, nicotine, and heat are detrimental to the healing process. So, after the surgery do your best to stay smoking free for at least 1 week. Your healing -- your decision. Good Luck.
Dr. Laurentiu Boeru
41 years experience
Nonsmoking period: Prior to GA the longer the period of non smoking before surgery the better it is.The smoke affects respiratory structures, oxygenation, heart rate, coronary blood supply,coagulation activity e.g.the frequent thromboembolic events.In 4-6 days the cilliary clearance start to improve,and takes 3mo to get better,6mo to recover.10 days not to be hyperreactive,6 weeks spit to reduce.Elec. cigrts better
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
Not recommended: Best is to stop smoking for at least for 24 hours any type of cigarettes.

Last updated Apr 2, 2015