Kenly, North Carolina

My 3 year old daughter had a sty on her eye lid and it popped about a week ago. now the whole eye is swollen red/purple looking and it's spreading.

Dr. Felicia Baxter
Emergency Medicine 24 years experience
Cellulitis: For now I would continue to do warm compresses if she will sit still long enough to allow you to and I would have her seen ASAP because what you describes sounds like a deeper infection like cellulitis that has to be treated with antibiotics eye drops and oral. I hope this helps. Please let me know what the local doctor says.
Dr. Melissa Gowans
See peds: It sounds like the infection has spread and could be a periorbital cellulitis. This would likely require oral antibiotics for treatment. Don't delay, call the pediatrician today (there's always somebody on-call) and they will be able to direct you. Warm compresses can be helpful before and during the oral antibiotics and can be soothing for your child.
Dr. Corey Clay
Allergy and Immunology 10 years experience
Seek: urgent care. Spreading bacterial infection around the eye can threaten permanent vision!

Last updated May 30, 2016