Canada

what is a normal sugar level for pregnancy?

Dr. Charles Whiting
Depends: It depends on where the sugar is measured and when. For example are you asking about sugar in urine or in blood? if you are asking about blood sugar, it depends on when it measured. There are different recommended levels for fasting blood sugars as well as blood sugars pre-meal and post meal. Ask your question again with more specific details, including if you have gestational diabetes.
Dr. Peter Baumann
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
What really matters: What you really want to ask is: how well does my body while pregnant break down carbohydrates (sugar)? This is routinely tested during 24 to 28 weeks of pregnancy, when women drink a defined amount of glucose (e.g., 50 grams) and then have their glucose level taken an hour later. If at that time glucose levels exceed 140 mg/dl (140 mg%), more testing is needed; below that you are in good shape.