Jackson, MS

i have hyperparathyroidism and hypercalcium. i read somewhere that taking lithium can cause this and i take it every day. is this true?

Dr. Paul Pyles
Addiction Medicine 33 years experience
Yes: According to the NIH, hyperparathyroidism occurs in 3-6% of chronic lithium users. Thank you for asking this question. Best wishes to you for your treatment and recovery!
Dr. Yash Khanna
Yes it can: Lithium may in some patients lead to increase release od parathyroid hormone and cause hypercalcemia I will advice you discuss this with your psychiatrist. and endocrinologist About 25to30% of patients on Lithium develop mildly increase calcium ion concentration. Incidence of Hyperparathyroidism was found to be 7.5 times higher in those on lithium therapy in a sweedish study vs gen population