Los Altos, CA

Is there a correlation between asthma, food allergies and hypochlorhydria? older studies published in bmj and nature seem to suggest so?

Dr. Justin Greiwe
Not likely: To my knowledge there is no link between these conditions. Issues of food allergies, asthma, and eczema are atopic disorders that can be more common in eosinophilic esophagitis, but I have never seen any reliable research linking hypochlorhydria and atopy.
Dr. John Chiu
Allergy and Immunology 57 years experience
Possible: There is study suggesting that acid suppression may increase the risk to develop allergy to certain foods. However food allergy is rarely linked to asthma except perhaps in the first year of life.

Last updated Feb 16, 2015