i ripped the webbing that connects my tongue to my mouth. i did it last night, today it hurts badly but doesn't look as bad, swollen, purple. doctor?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Philip Miller
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Exam: Must be examined and evaluated. I would like to know how this accident occurred.
Answered on Feb 7, 2015
Dr. Robert Sterling
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Loose Tongue No Good: That's called the frenulum.It will probably heal on its own unless it's very large.Best to stay away from spicy or salty foods or citrus, i.e.keep is soft and bland and rinse your mouth frequently.But if it is causing a lot of pain or bleeding or if you think it might be infected(getting red and swollen and painful and looks ugly)then get it looked at. If it's really big it may need to be stitched
Answered on Feb 7, 2015