Birmingham, AL

i have chronic sinusitis. could this cause inflammation of my blood vessels? gi doc wants me to see a rheumatologist. what could cause my inflammation

Dr. David Lipkin
Probably not: Vasculitis(inflammation of blood vessels)can refer to an infection of a blood vessel or more commonly to noninfectious inflammation.It can be due to an immune reaction to medication or various viral and bacterial infections and as component of auto-immune diseases. In most cases the exact cause that triggers the vasculitis is unknown.Sinusitis is not a recognized cause for noninfectious vasculitis
Dr. Forrest Jones
Specializes in Family Medicine
Wegener's granulomat: Your specialist may be referring to a form of systemic vasculitis called Wegener's Granulomatosis. This disease can be manifested in chronic sinusitis. I would agree you should see a rheumatologist who can then shed more light on the subject for you. Hope that helps.