if 100grm of squash has 100% rdi of carotene, how much roughly could be eaten daily without skin yellowing? would mineral oil stop absorption much?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Forrest Jones
Specializes in Family Medicine
Think Variety : How much squash do you plan to eat? Think in terms of lots of colors when planning vegetables for your meals. Variety is the spice of life - and health. Mineral oil, though, is not part of a healthy eating plan.
Answered on Jan 31, 2015
1
Dr. Joseph Eastern
44 years experience Dermatology
All you want.: 1st, there is no official RDI for carotene; everybody has a different number. 2nd, I've never seen carotenosis from squash (and my daughter, a vegetarian, eats a TON of it). 3rd, carotenosis due to eating vegetables is harmless, so if you somehow eat enough squash to yellow your skin, cutting back will reverse it. So eat what you want. Mineral oil would have no significant effect on absorption.
Answered on Jan 31, 2015
1
1
Dr. Roy Arnold
Dr. Roy Arnold commented
The only people I have seen with yellow skin from eating carrots and squash are children eating mostly pureed vegetable baby food. (Age 10-16 months) Once they get enough teeth to chew things, their diet is more varied and the yellow fades.
Jan 30, 2015