what exactly is mental health?

Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology 14 years experience
Adaptive or not: There are many answers to this, but one way of answering this very broad question is the idea of how adaptive a person's behavior is (or isn't) to social situations, i.e., the context in which the behavior is exhibited. For instance, jumping up and down and yelling during, say, a Catholic mass might be considered maladaptive/ inappropriate, in that context. However, not at all at a sporting event.
Dr. Janice Seward
Clinical Psychology 31 years experience
Mental Health: I define mental health as the ability to handle the challenges of life with flexibility and stability. Positive mental health includes being able to take the perspective of others, to handle our impulses and emotions, and to move on from trauma in a healthy way. It also involves good positive relationships with others in our communities, developing good social support.