Porter, TX

breastfeeding my 2month old. is it safe to change diet to lose 50 lbs? i want to go on joel fuhrmans diet. vegan. will my body dump toxins in milk?

Dr. Joseph Oh
Dr. Joseph Oh answered
No!: I would not recommend dieting while breast feeding. It takes an enormous amount of calories to produce breast milk. If you want to continue to produce good quality milk, don't diet. If you eat a normal amount of food, you are likely to lose weight anyways. And if you're vegan, make sure to take B12 supplements and to give your baby 400 IU of vitamin D a day. Best of luck!
Work with dietitian: If you follow a diet plan based on your pre-pregnancy weight you can shed some weight slowly and not put baby at risk. Vegans have a problems because of potential vitamin deficiencies in the milk, so close adherence to recommended supplements is advised. If anything do not eat "extra" because you are eating for two.That just guarantees that you would maintain or gain weight.

Last updated Jun 1, 2016