United Kingdom

I had my lower right wisdom tooth removed, now have no feeling in gums or tongue,none.my dentist said he did not sever nerve,is this normal?

Dr. Alexander Gamber
Dentistry 13 years experience
How long ago?: How long ago did you have the surgery? It is relatively normal to still have some numbness a few days after surgery. In some cases, the numbness lasts longer, but usually resolves itself within 6 months. Numbness is definitely a risk factor when getting your wisdom teeth removed because of how close that inferior alveolar nerve is to the tooth.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
Post op numbness: There are rare complications from surgery. If only 1/2 your tongue and gingiva on that side are affected, then it is most likely the lingual nerve. Therapy should immediately be started to help decrease inflammation and promote healing. All the best...
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
Paresthesia: is a rarer complication of wisdom teeth extraction. See your surgeon for post-op evaluation and a proper parasthesia treatment as early as possible. The sooner rather than later for a better outcome.
Dr. Debra Rosenblatt
Dentistry 38 years experience
May need to be referred to neurosurgeon, if parasthesia is evident. Agree that earlier diagnosis and treatment is paramount.
Feb 18, 2015

Last updated Feb 19, 2015