Australia
A 21-year-old male asked about a 23-year-old male:

can antidepressant drugs really cure depression ... how much a degree of 10 can you give for antidepressant drugs as an effective treatment ?

Dr. Bernard Seif
Clinical Psychology 40 years experience
Feeling Good: There are several types of depression. Reactive depression occurs as a result of loss and eventually we adjust. If one does not adjust or if the cause is not clear certainly seek professional help. "feeling good" by david burns is an excellent self-help book based on science. Don't let the thickness of it intimidate you. Take it bit by bit. The very best to you. Not just meds.
Dr. Peter Forster
Treat depression: Antidepressants can be very effective for some people. In general, there are about as effective as other medications, for example medications for high blood pressure, but they don't work for everyone and whether there right for you depends on the type of depression and what you've already tried to take care of it. Let's give them a 7 out of 10.
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology 36 years experience
From a Ph.D.'s POV: I'd think more of 'resolve' and manage than cure, but drugs do seem helpful for more severe cases especially in combo with coordinated CBT therapy. That's where you can learn skills to use throughout your life. Rating scales don't work for this - what you invest will make it successful. If it's mild to moderate - therapy and you together can avoid side effects or, at least minimize doses.
Dr. Irving Harper
Need someone to assist you into finding out what is causing the depression and non medication coping skills as well
Jan 17, 2015