U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
De Kalb, TX
A 27-year-old male asked:

I'd like to get eval for adult adhd, but there aren't any psychia* in my area accepting patients. should i see pcp or drive 1.5+ hours for a psychia*?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Tanya Russo
Pediatrics 26 years experience
Stay close: Many adult primary care providers are competent with evaluating and treating ADHD, but may be strapped for time required for the initial evaluation. Remember, frequent office visits for monitoring and refills may be required, so a close physician would be ideal. Your local Mental Health Clinic may also have options for you. Good luck!
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Neurology 34 years experience
Depends on DOCTOR: The QUALITY of the doctor trumps a specialty title. When it comes to evaluations for something like ADD, in my opinion, a dedicated and creatively minded PCP who DIGS for answers is at least as valuable (if not more) than a specialist less interested in the CORRECT DIAGNOSIS as much as a HAPPY PATIENT. Don't put a premium on titles, assess quality of DOC & how they make you feel.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jan 16, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.