can a obgyn spot std by looking at your cervix. she didn't give me a swab because it wasn't covered in my visit. she said everything looked normal ?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Wayne Ingram
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Not unless infected: STD's affecting the cervix can be suspected occasionally if the cervix is red and inflamed indicating a possible infection. However, in order to conclusively find STD"s (or not) require taking a physical culture swab of the area. Besides, considering your concern, it would be an important "negative" to know, a lack of insurance coverage, notwithstanding. Ethically, we do a higher care standard.
Answered on Jan 13, 2015
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
52 years experience Infectious Disease
STD lab tests needed: Normal visual exam is reassuring but only a little. If at risk for STD (more than one partner recently, partner with other partners, etc) you need swab specimen for gonorrhea and chlamydia, blood tests for syphilis and HIV, microscope exam of vaginal fluid. Hard to believe these are not covered by your insurance -- ask again! Or visit your local health dept STD or Planned Parenthood clinic.
Answered on Jan 16, 2015