how is chf diagnosed?

Dr. Irv Loh
Dr. Irv Loh answered
Cardiology 49 years experience
History, testing: The combination of symptoms and objective physical findings is a startting point, confirmed by echocardiography which has the advantage of not only confirming the diagnosis, but helping sort out the causes, which then help direct targeted treatment. Blood tests to help confirm the diagnosis (bnp) and evaluate metabolic causes are useful. Modern treatment is successful to improve quality of life.
Dr. Howard Rubin
Cardiology 47 years experience
Chf: History, physical exam, ekg, chest x-ray, echocardiogram are tools to make such a diagnosis. Primary symptoms include shortness of breath, chest pain, swelling in the feet or legs.