United Kingdom (Great Britain)

Tripped over my bed and really hurt the bones behind my big toe were throbbing and sore to touch and there a big bruise is it broken?

Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 28 years experience
Very possible: Ice it, but try and get to a foot doc to have an x-ray. That is a common way in which bones are broken.
Dr. David Hettinger
Podiatry 36 years experience
Bruising & swelling?: Have an x-ray taken. Usually with a break, there is bleeding from the bone which leads to swelling and bruising to the toe and surrounding area. This is not always the case, but when i see this, i always take an x-ray to see. The fact that you can move your toes does not mean it can't be broken. Too much depends on the site and extent of the break to recommend treatmnent options.
Dr. Thomas Inwood
Podiatry 35 years experience
Tripped: As said - the only way to know is with an xray . That there is a bruise is not a cerrtain indicator of a fracture , but it pushes your thinking in that direction. See your podiatrist for x rays and an exam.