my mri report is right paracentral herniation of c5-c6 iv disc indenting spinal cord...doctor said to me it is necessary operation is it right?

Dr. Safiyya Shabazz
Yes : I'm not a surgeon but a disk that high pressing on your spinal column is not a good thing.
Dr. David Dang
Radiology 14 years experience
Depends: This depends on your symptoms, duration of symptoms and whether symptoms have been improving or worsening. Also depends on how much is the herniation, how much is the cord compressed whether there are any changes in the cord as a result of the compression and also whether any waiting will help at all.
Neurology 52 years experience
Myelopathy: If the disc touches or indents the spinal cord and the spinal canal width is sufficient, you might be able to avoid surgery and hope the disc desiccates and shrinks, but if there is stenosis, and the cord is showing signs of edema or myelomalacia, surgery is mandatory, (no other options).

Last updated Aug 5, 2020