A 49-year-old member asked:
Disclaimer

is amalgam mercury poisoning common?

5 doctor answers
Dr. Douglas Tavenner, jr.
49 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
Absolutely Not: The mixtures in the several years is very different than older mixes. New mixes don't have any extra mercury like the old kinds. Also the real big problem with amalgams is not the mercury, it is 2 other problems: 1) the bacteria that leaks down between the filling and the tooth causes deep cavities. 2) the fractures that occur under amalgams are a real problem an need to be bonded together.
Answered on Jan 29, 2017
2
2 thanks
Dr. LaMont Gee
50 years experience Dentistry
Mercury poisoning: Mercury poisoning from an amalgam restoration is virtually unheard of. That is not to say that someone might have an allergy to one of the ingredients in a silver filling, mercury being only one metal in the alloy.
Answered on Jan 17, 2014
2
2 thanks
Dr. Joseph Ritz
45 years experience Dentistry
No: Very controversial subject. Consensus of public health and regulatory bodies is that the mercury in the amalgam is bound to the mixture (called an eutectic) and cannot react in the body and therefore safe. Contrary evidence is anecdotal but there is pressure to limit or Prohibit mercury in dental fillings.
Answered on Jan 15, 2015
Dr. Dominick Curalli
19 years experience Dentistry
Amalgam: No. Mercury in dental amalgam is stable and bound to the copper or silver contained in the alloy. Negligible amounts are released over your lifetime and all scientific studies thus far have failed to show it leads to harmful effects. Think of table salt, you aren't concerned about poisonous chlorine gas leaking off of it since the chloride is bound to sodium. This is a similar analogy.
Answered on Nov 24, 2016
3
3 thanks
Dr. Don Millner
42 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
In the year 1860?!: Maybe in 1860 when there was a large jaw of mercury ready to spill in most dental offices... But not today! mercury (silver) amalgam really poses an issue for the dental team, not the patient! dentists are exposed to it all day long! however, I have yet to see a modern study showing the effects of mixing amalgam or removal on a dentist. On the other-hand, maybe that is why I am going bald!
Answered on Apr 18, 2016
1
1 thank

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month

Related questions:

A 48-year-old member asked:
Dr. Thomas Yash
45 years experience Dentistry
Rare: There is no good scientific studies connecting mercury in amalgam (silver) fillings to poisoning or neurlogical disorders. Unless you have a allergy ... Read More
A 48-year-old member asked:
Dr. Gary Sandler
53 years experience Dentistry
Confused: There are numerous items that contain mercury in its various forms that can cause a toxic exposure; they occur mostly in the workplace from industrial ... Read More
1
1 comment
A 20-year-old male asked:
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
39 years experience Dentistry
No: Amalgam fillings have been used for over 150 years. You'd think after all that time we would know if they were dangerous, right? There are more import ... Read More
1
1 thank
A 36-year-old member asked:
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
39 years experience Dentistry
Nope: If so, most of the world's population would have died off by now.. So many silver fillings have been placed in the last 150 years, a problem with thei ... Read More

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month