can l-tyrosine restore dopamine from stimulant usage (medical usage) or does it build your tolerance? stims r 4 narcolepsy and helps some motivation.

2 doctor answers
Dr. Randy Baker
39 years experience Holistic Medicine
May help: There is little research on this, but l-tyrosine and l-phenyalanine are the precursors (building blocks) of Dopamine & norepinephrine. Theoretically taking these should help us to produce more of these neurotransmitters. This is reasonable to try. For an interesting article on other considerations see http://www.Livestrong.Com/article/322098-how-do-i-boost-dopamine-levels/.
Answered on Nov 28, 2017
1
Dr. Louis Cady
31 years experience Psychiatry
Yes: I use it for this exact purpose in my patients, converting people who are having diminished benefit on their stimulant medication back to "responders" again and even occasionally being able to lower the medication down slightly. It does work, and it is referenced in the peer-reviewed literature as "amino acid precursor loading therapy." good luck.
Answered on May 15, 2013
2