Shelby charter Township, MI

My daughter's step son who is 12 yrs old is autistic. he likes to sit and watch tv. is there any good programs for autisic children or any new break?

Dr. Mohammed Younus
Too much TV not good: Too much tv is not good for any kid wether autistic or not. I would restrict tv and or any electronic gaming to one to two hours per day. Apart from effects of brain learning fast paced movements which can cause major issues with concentration in real life, sedentary life brings on many medical problems with in future. Remember he is not needed social skills or social exposure that is needed for a.
Dr. Sophie Duriez
Dr. Younus, you are so right! Too much TV is not good for any child, autistic or not. I supposed there is a typo at the end of your answer. I believe you mean that social skills are much needed for an autistic child & can be learned through social exposure, not by watching TV :)
Mar 25, 2013
Dr. Mohammed Younus
Provided original answer
Thanks for pointing it out, you are right, little mistakes change the meaning to opposite.
Mar 27, 2013
Dr. Mohammed Younus
Provided original answer
Mar 27, 2013
Dr. Lisa Rankin
ADHD and Autism 25 years experience
Depends : Although tv is an easy default for children who may have difficult behaviors it should be limited. There really is nothing positive that comes from watching most television and at best the effect is neutral. Choose shows that have some educational benefit for regularly watched shows and avoid those that promote violence or inapporpriate behaviors. If there is a favorite show use as a reward.

Last updated Apr 30, 2016