can you donate blood after getting a tattoo?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Mark Gujer
25 years experience Anesthesiology
Yes: And please do. You will be screened and the donated blood will be tested prior to acceptance. A professionally done tattoo with sterile unshared needles should not put you at increased risk. Thank you for being willing to donate. Now go :).
Answered on Dec 4, 2016
2
2 comments
1
43 years experience Pathology
Dr. Dugan is correct in many jurisdictions, but if the tattoo was applied in a state that regulates tattoo artists, the bank will probably be able to accept your blood.
Oct 2, 2014
Dr. Michael Dugan
Specializes in Hematology
Actually a tatoo results in a 12 month deferral
Mar 20, 2013
Dr. Donald Alves
23 years experience Emergency Medicine
After 1 year: Since the blood bank cannot know which artists use proper infection-prevention techniques and which do not, there is a 12-month deferral period after getting a tattoo. If still healthy after that period (as most folks are), you are welcome to return to donating.
Answered on May 16, 2016
1