My grandma passed away from breast cancer a few years ago and my mum said it is hereditary. is this true?

Dr. Mark Hoepfner
General Surgery 39 years experience
Risks: Only about 10-15% of breast cancers are related to hereditary risks. That means 85% of breast cancers occur spontaneously with no known family risk. And women in the us have a 12-14% lifetime risk of getting breast cancer. You do not have a first degree relative with breast cancer. Have yearly physical exams after age 20, yearly mammogram after age 40 & consider genetic testing for yourself.
Dr. Sewa Legha
Medical Oncology 50 years experience
It can be but not al: There is some risk of breast cancer in mothers to daughters and even grand daughters. But 90% of the women who develop breast cancer have no such connection. But you have to be careful and have regular check ups by your doctor and also do breast self examination once monthly to look for any lump or change is the feel of your breasts.

Last updated Oct 4, 2016