U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 42-year-old female asked:

what can i do for ringing in the ears?

5 doctor answers11 doctors weighed in
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Family Medicine 43 years experience
Get evaluation: See and ENT and a audiologist. The symptoms may be helped. There may not be a cure but you need to be cleared of any serious conditons causing this and limiting the effects. This is called "tinnitus" tin-a-tis or tin-i-tis.
Dr. Stan Coleman
Ophthalmology 63 years experience
Tinnitus: You should see ENT doctor to determine cause and appropriate treatment. Some causes are prolonged exposure to loud noises,Ear wax,and other middle ear problems.
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 52 years experience
Tinnitus: The actual site of most tinnitus is unknown and some think that spontaneous tinnitus might originate in the hearing centers of the brain. It can be caused by significant and chronic noise exposure, infections of the inner ear, and traumatic brain injury. A few are inherited. Treatment is unsatisfactory and there are a number of 'natural' remedies with no proven value.
Dr. William Culviner
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 30 years experience
Tinnitus : Tinnitus is actually a very complex perception of some type of noise or sound in the ears or head. There are different types, subjective (only you hear) or objective (others can hear the noise too-rare). It can be pulsatile like a heart beat or non-pulsatile. There can be many causes and it really needs a full evaluation by an otolaryngologist.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 25 years experience
Tinnitus: There are many possible causes for Tinnitus. If this has become chronic - would recommend seeing audiologist for audigram and potential Ear/Nose/Throat evaluation.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A 47-year-old member asked:

How to cure ringing in the ears?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Scott Rickert
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 17 years experience
No complete cure: Tinnitus is ringing in the ears caused by damage to the hearing nerve. It is typically heard at the frequency of the damage. It is essentially the brain thinking it heard a sound at that frequency when there is no sound. The brain hears it because of the damage and does not always resolve fully. Treatment involves masking the sound or other conservative treatments. Surgery is a last resort.
A 40-year-old member asked:

What to do for ringing ears at 49?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Farhad Sigari
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 20 years experience
Hearing loss?: Tinnitus is usually associated by some kind of hearing loss. So the first thing for anyone who has ear ringing that wont go away is to be have a formal hearing test. A good ENT visit will be useful for you.
Piedmont, SC
A 44-year-old female asked:

How do I soothe the ringing in my ears?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. John Munshower
Family Medicine 30 years experience
Tinnitus: Ringing in the ear is very hard to treat and can be maddening if you constantly think about it and hear the ringing. See an ENT dr. To get and evaluation as once the cause is diagnosed, there may be treatment for you. Best wishes.
A member asked:

I have periodic ringing in my ears?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Ronald Ward
Specializes in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
Ringing: Need for more history and other associated symptoms. Usually benign origin from cochlear hair cell damage. Use ear protection when exposed to noise levels exceeding 85dB. Can get free decibel meter app on phone.
A 63-year-old male asked:

Ringing ears, is there a treatment?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jaiprakash Thakor Jairam
A Verified Doctoranswered
A US doctor answeredLearn more
Probably: Hi.Please see GP/ENT for possible causes after which management can be decided on.There are many causes,some which might be age related,as such difficult to say.

Related questions

A 32-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
A male asked:
5 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 55-year-old male asked:
5 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated Mar 17, 2019

People also asked

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.