Houston, TX

Burning pain in right buttock, accompanied by burning that picks back up a few inches below my knee and runs down the outside of my leg, through the heel. presents only with sitting. possible causes?

Neurology 52 years experience
Piriformis syndrome: Maybe a "peripheral sciatica", and the nerve could be compressed by the piriformis muscle. Alternatively, could possess focal sacro-iliac dysfunction, and perhaps best source for relief of both from a visit to osteopathic specialist.
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 29 years experience
Possibly a sciatica: A sciatica is caused by an irritation of a nerve in the back that then can cause pain that runs down the leg like you are describing. There are also potentially other causes as well. Usually a detailed history and exam can determine the cause. Thank you for your question.
Dr. Eugene Batelli
Podiatry 23 years experience

Last updated Jun 20, 2017