what is the normal heart rate during sleep?

Dr. John Van der Werff
Dentistry 39 years experience
Normal: Normal heart rate is 60 to 90 beats per minute awake. During sleep it tends to be slightly lower.

GB

Is it normal to have heart rate vary from 45-100bpm during sleep? Short burst of 100bpm (during rem??)

Dr. Charles Gordon
Specializes in Adolescent Medicine
No: Unless you have really exciting dreams. By the way how do you know that your HR is fluctuating like that while you're sound Asleep? Was this measured during a sleep study? Are you on any cardiac stimulants? See your doc.
Jacksonville, FL

Is it normal for my heart rate to be at 40 bpm while sleeping?

Dr. Frank Kuitems
No: A heart rate of 40 is not normal heart rate below 50 or not normal. Usually heart rate 50 to 90 at rest considered normal. Usual evaluation is to check if the patient is on a beta blocker calcium blocker that slows the heart rate.A highly trained athlete that can have a heart rate in the 40s at rest. Holter heartbeat monitor worn at home . See cardiologist
Jacksonville, FL

What is a normal sleeping heart rate? Also is a bpm of 50-100 normal? I see everywhere that 60-100 is normal but mine is starting to go down to the high 50s

Dr. Donald Colantino
Heart rate: A sleeping heart rate can be normally low as 40. Normal resting heart rate in adults is still considered to be 60-100, but in my experience the average is about 60-72 and not in the 90's. Young,healthy and athletic people often have resting heart rates in the 50's and even in the 40's.
Rainsville, AL

I wear a smartwatch that i have set to continuously monitor heart rate. I often check to see what it recorded when I was sleeping, and I've found my heart rate pretty consistently dips to about 40 bpm while sleeping. Is this normal?

Dr. Donald Colantino
Not unusual: It's not unusual for slow heart rates in the low 50's or high 40's to occur in young healthy people during sleep. During daytime those people also tend to have low resting heart rates in the 60's or 50's. If you still have concerns your MD can arrange for you to wear a continuous heart monitor For 24-48 hours to rule out serious arrhythmias.
Mechanicsburg, PA

My heart rate drops below 60 into the 50s every night when I go to sleep is this normal?

Dr. Clarence Grim
Endocrinology 57 years experience
Heart rate 50 asleep: This is most likely normal but only your Dr can tell as we do not know you. Many heart detectors on phones and watches are always accurate. If possible wear 2 at same time as compare and check them against your own pulse count at the radial artery at the base of your thumb proximal to wrist crease. Google radial pulse

Last updated Jan 19, 2019