will my baby's latch always hurt my nipples?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Pamela Lindor
32 years experience Pediatrics
No: No! it is common to feel some mild pain or discomfort in the first stages of breastfeeding, but nursing a baby should not hurt! if you are having nipple pain, the baby may not be latching right, you may need to change your position, or you may even have a mild infection. Check with your OB or with a lactation consultant right away.
Answered on Dec 8, 2016
1
46 years experience Pediatrics
No: Increased sensitivity in the nipples is part of the bodies preparation for breat feeding & some might sense pain without true injury or infection. Being sure to get a proper latch & breaking suction with your finger can decrease the stretch that may traumatize the nipple. Work with your lactation consultant to learn the techniques that work for you.
Answered on Jul 29, 2012