United Kingdom

nurse says i should learn to cope with psychotic hallucinations and stop taking risperidone? though the risperidone was to stop them?

Dr. Bassam Amawi
As above : It is better to ask u physician and u should not stop or change medication without checking with him.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Risperidone: Yes, Risperidone is an antipsychotic medicine which should help with hallucinations. I don't know why a nurse would suggest you stop taking it if you have hallucinations. It's true, however, that in some cases hallucinations continue despite medications. In these situations people do try to learn to cope with them. Talk with your psychiatrist about your own case and options.
Dr. Donald Alves
Emergency Medicine 24 years experience
Depends: If your hallucinations are mild/ not too distressing, might be an option to get off long-term med. If no major side effects from med & if it is helping, then netter to leave as is. Discuss the suggestion of the nurse w/your dr/provider.