does colic require medical attention?

Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Yes: Only to make sure that it is, in fact, colic, and not a more serious condition such as reflux ("baby heartburn"). Colic is crying for no apparent reason; if a reason exists and needs to be treated, then it isn't colic. In my experience, colic can almost always be treated by taking a car ride with the baby (properly restrained in an appropriate car seat, of course).
Dr. Alan Mease
Dr. Alan Mease commented
First make sure that the baby is healthy by seeing the pediatrician. My definition of colic is unexplained crying in an infant < 6 months. Some think that it is caused by gas and it does occasionally respond to anti gas meds. I think the best strategies are Harvey Karp's 5 S's: Swaddling, Side position, Shhhh ing sound; Swinging and Sucking. See book! Check you self for depression!
Jul 21, 2013
Dr. Hillel Naon
Dr. Hillel Naon commented
Pediatric Gastroenterology 43 years experience
Agree
Aug 11, 2013
Dr. Michel Kahaleh
Gastroenterology 27 years experience
Excellent, agree
Aug 25, 2013
Dr. Bert Mandelbaum
No: Infants who are colicky, but are otherwise well, do not need medical attention. Most colicky infants are happy for most of the day and feed well. Some warning signs that should prompt medical attention are fever, poor feeding, decreased urination or bowel movements and irritable infants who do not have periods of being happy.
Dr. Roy Benaroch
No: Anything requires medical attention if you're worried, but if your child has the most typical pattern of colic (crying almost exclusively in the evenings during set hours, while being fine during the day, and growth and feeding and developing normally), then there's no medical testing or therapy necessary.
Dr. Mark Diamond
I would agree with the above,except the "classical" definition of colic is 24/7 problems,not just evenings.
Jan 7, 2012
Dr. Faryal Ghaffar
Colic: The etiology of colic in unknown. Some kids well haver colic like pain from formula intolerance.
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Not necessarily: But it causes a lot of stress, anxiety , agony , sleepless nights and paranoia - what if it is something else more serious?!? Baby ended up being seen anyway. Patience, reassurance, staying calm helps. Colic is self limiting. It can be as short as 3 months, 6 months, a year to three years! most last only three months and your child will be a totally different baby. God sent angel :))).