Australia

what is the cause of cold sore? i got it and it's painful inside my mouth.

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Cold sore or?: Many people confuse two different types of sores. Oral herpes is an infection caused by the herpes simplex virus and is contageous and looks more like a blister. Apthous ulcers also known as a canker sore, is a type of mouth ulcer that presents as a painful open sore inside the mouth or upper throat characterized by a break in the mucous membrane. Its cause is unknown, but they are not contagious.
Dr. Santiago Roldan
Dentistry 20 years experience
VIRUS/BACTERIA: The term cold sore is usually used indistinctly for aphtous ulcers(bacterial) and/or herpetic stomatitis(viral). Most people suffer from these infections due to a depression of their immune system (low defenses).Also when someone has been exposed to the sun or some irritating food like chocolate, pinuts, hot pepper, etc.