my son is 2, and refuses to eat almost anything at all. what do you suggest to ensure hes getting the right amount of nutrients/vitamins/minerals?

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Geriatrics 40 years experience
Discuss with Pediatr: Pediatricians well know that most. Children do not eat from age 1 to 8. One strategy is to leave them to take food in their hands. Give multivitaminic supplements. If they are not diabetic ....Give them milk shakes ( add olive oil and sugar to them ). Avoid snacks, sodas, candies between meals.
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Specializes in Pediatrics
Not to worry: I agree with dr hernandez. Children are clever...But parents are more clever! you provide him with a balanced meal and if he chooses not to eat that is his choice (not the best one mind you!). He will eat when he is hungry. Avoid becoming a short order cook trying to find something he will eat. Provide the food and if he doesn't eat don't worry. I have seen toddlers go 7 days not eating solids.
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Specializes in Pediatrics
Provided original answer
Then they will eat a lot. He will not starve and his body will get the nutrients it needs when he chooses to eat.
Mar 1, 2012
Dr. Susan McCreadie
Holistic Medicine 23 years experience
I agree. Also love the 2-bite rule. Consistency in parenting is the hardest thing to do - but pays off in the end. Be consistent. Every time food is offered, 2 bites are required to hit the stomach! After that, you can be excused from the table. Science shows taste buds are trainable - generally within 21 days. Worked with my girls and spinach!
Mar 2, 2012
Dr. Nguyen Nguyen
Agree with all above. One research group had gone into the home of parents of toddlers, asked the parents to prepare a balance meal for their kids but not to force the issue, then they counted the calories eaten for a period of time. They found that for a three-week period, the kids eat the exact amount of calories required for proper growth. Science did support the above advice. Just don't force.
Mar 7, 2012