is my monodox (doxycycline monohydrate) prescription for my skin affecting my birth control pill effectiveness?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Jeffrey Hick
12 years experience Dermatology
Antibiotics and BC: The only documented antibiotic that interferes with birth control is rifampin. However, any of the antibiotics have the potential to alter the way the medications are absorbed or processed so i always recommend a secondary form of birth control such as a condom, if taking antibiotics and birth control together.
Answered on Aug 21, 2018
1
Dr. Linda Schwartz
15 years experience Pharmacology
Doxycycline and BC: The use of antibiotics can decrease the effectiveness of your birth control. Please consider a back-up method (condoms) in addition to the birth control pill when taking an antibiotics. Please consult with your PCP re your concerns.
Answered on Jul 11, 2016