how do i care for a circumcision wound?

Dr. Scott Katz
Depends on type: There are 3 methods of circumcision. The first is the plastibell which leaves a plastic ring around the wound. No care is required other than keeping the area clean until the ring falls off in 5-7 days. The other 2 methods use a clamp and require gauze and ointment for the first week. If you feel there is evidence of infection or the ring does not fall off, your son should be reexamined.
Dr. Angeline Hadi
Keep it clean. : Following circumcision, it is important to keep the area as clean as possible. Gently clean with soap and warm water — do not use diaper wipes. Your doctors may recommend putting a dab of petroleum jelly on the baby's penis or on the front of the diaper for 3 to 5 days to alleviate any potential discomfort caused by friction against the diaper. http://kidshealth.org/parent/system/surgical/circumcision.html#.
Vaseline, for 3 days: After the "foreskin" has been cut off, the wound area is a little oozy with a slight amount of blood and sticky material. For about 3 days, the parent can put some vaseline on the wound so the end of the penis doesn't stick to the diaper. Also, put some 4x4-inch gauze cloth around penis before closing the diaper (so less or no poop will get on the penis). After 3-4 days, no special care needed.
Dr. George Klauber
Specializes in Pediatric Urology
Vaseline: Apply aound the circumferential scar till healing complete.
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Can also use Zinc oxide ointment until healed.
Mar 30, 2012
Dr. George Klauber
Specializes in Pediatric Urology
Provided original answer
I personally dislike Zinc Oxide because it is difficult to wipe away if you need to lookk at skin underneath or in unlikely event that baby needs to be catheterized, develops a hematoma or PlastiBell ring needs to be removed. I just find Vaseline more esthetic. Bottom line is, iit's OK if it works.
Apr 6, 2012
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Wound care 35 years experience
Surgical wound: Your surgeon should have provided clear instructions on the care of this procedure. If not, pester his office for clear instructions.
Dr. Robert Dorsey
Wound care 36 years experience
Call the doctor: Call the doctor who performed the surgery. He is best able to answer this question.