United Kingdom (Great Britain)

an x-ray showed a shadow over my liver and the bloods were high - i have lots of pain in that area going up to my right shoulder. what could it be?

Dr. Donald Alves
Emergency Medicine 24 years experience
Lots of things: A bruise/hematoma; an abscess; a tumor--plain x-rays do not define soft tissue problems very well. You need to follow up and get more advanced imaging (like ct scan) be better identify and see if you need a gi/hepatologist consult vs abx, or drainage, or a surgeon.
Dr. Mary Maluccio
Surgical Oncology 27 years experience
The diaphragm: Liver or biliary tract problems can cause pressure, inflammation, and/or irritation of the diaphragm. This will cause pain in the shoulder. This should be followup up with more sophisticated imaging than a plain xray, like an MRI or ct scan.