i have a ref dot towards the back of my tongue and i was wondering what it might be. i am just getting over a cold, if that helps you in any way?

Dr. Victor Zeines
Dentistry 51 years experience
It does: I'm assuming you mean red dot if this was in the front of your mouth i would say it could be thyroid or heart problems. Since this is at the back of your mouth its probably from the cold thought that usually shows up as white ..Is this getting better, if so don't worry about it its probably from your cold if its not getting better you should have it looked at.
Dr. John Chastain
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 19 years experience
Sounds benign: A red, slightly raised spot on the back of the tongue sounds like a normal part of the tongue, called circumvallate papillae. Several are present. Another possibility is lingual tonsil tissue, which is lymphoid tissue- part of the immune system, which helps your body fight off illness such as your cold. When the immune system is activated, this tissue may become enlarged, prominent, and sore.