Guaynabo, PR

we are in the 21 century and no cure for fibromyalgia.why? are there recent researches for that horrible painful disease.please tell me.

Neurology 52 years experience
We made progress: Consider that even now, some docs do not even believe it exists. We only have learned how this works over past few years. Prior meds did little, but pts are functioning far more better these days. No cure, but that is true for numerous problems but control can be obtained by cymbalta, lyrica, and finally, savella, (milnacipran) so those are various potentials. We are continuing to develop new meds, .
Dr. Ron Jones
Dr. Ron Jones answered
Cause?: There is always constant research being done with this condition. The reason there is no cure as we really do not know the cause. God bless and hang in there.
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice 53 years experience
Wrong Theories: Clinical researchers are looking for virus, immune disorder, or genetic cause. To my mind, changes seen in these arenas are not causes, but are effects; except for joint hypermobility syndrome (inherited). The cause is primary pelvic girdle injury leading to tilted body & chronic & widely ranging muscle spasms. Since cause multivarient, cure is multivarient. True cause explained at quora.Com.
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice 53 years experience
Provided original answer
The unifying genetic relationship in fibromyalgia is probably Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (JHS), a known genetic condition.  I have noted that a good portion of female fibromyalgia sufferers satisfy the Bristol Criteria for JHS, and are able to oppose thumb to lateral radial skin, hyperextended elbows and knees, and can place their palms on the floor with knees locked.  Most could put their feet behind their head and back bridge as youngsters and many can do so as adults.  JHS is a disorder with a spectrum of penetrance; with Marfans and Ehlers-Danlos at the clinical severity end of the spectrum.  My speculation is that the trait is conserved in females because it increases pelvic joint (SIJ and symphysis pubis) flexibility during childbirth.  Many of my patients with fibromyalgia and subclinical JHS delivered their fourth or fifth child in minutes rather than hours.  I speculate that repetitive childbirth, in conjunction with the hormone Relaxin, progressively loosens pelvic ligaments.  This functionality would seem to favor infant survivability.  To my mind fibromyalgia results from the effects of a loose ligament-skeletal system attempting to maintain a medial center of gravity via chronic muscle spasm leading to widespread ischemic trigger points (after the work of Shah at NIH).
Jul 1, 2013