United Kingdom

1 & half yr baby has started to get teeth decay bcoz of sweeties. fluoride toothpaste suggested by dentist but he is swallowing. what to do?

Dr. John DeWolf
Dentistry 40 years experience
Careful: Supervised swabbed on toothpaste using very minimal amt. I.E."bb" sized followed by spitting. If that can't happen use non-fluoridated toothpaste to avoid hyperfluorosis. The key is to discontinue sweets including juice, soda, candy, and any sugary foods you can think of until the baby can manage this. Dry brushing (without any toothpaste) is still helpful with controlling decay. Good luck!
Dr. Stephen Gordon
Dentistry 43 years experience
Try MI Paste: Mi paste has been helpful in remineralization of tooth structure (it comes in 2 forms -- with and without fluoride) for a child that age, i prefer non-fluoride because of problems that can occur if swallowed. Stop sweets, less carbohydrates, & clean the teeth constantly with a toothbrush or with a clean, slightly moist wash cloth. It is derived from milk casein - don't use if allergic milk protein.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
PEDODONTIST CONSULT!: This is a bad start to your child's dental health. I recommend that you see a pedodontist in your area for a much needed complete evaluation regarding how to care for your child's teeth and not only how to treat the situation, but how to prevent further problems. This a matter not to be taken lightly. It warrants a comprehensive consultation that cannot be discussed simply on this site.
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry 36 years experience
I agree that an evaluation by a pedodontist is essential. So is cutting out the sugars. Try zxlitol instead. This has be shown to decrease decay.
Dec 5, 2013
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry 36 years experience
A peso twist evaluation is essential. So is cutting out sugars . Try xylitol instead. Xylitol have Ben shown to decrease decay
Dec 5, 2013
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 50 years experience
Use a pea-sized drop: Of the toothpaste if ok'ed by pediatric dentist. Give him bottled water w/o fluoride.Wean to an open-mouthed cup with 2 handles. Limit milk/milk products to 16-21 oz./day & juice/ sweet drinks to 0-4 oz./day with meals & snacks, followed by toothbrushing. Have a consistent bedtime & routine. Read, soothe & brush his teeth. Put him in his own bed drowsy, but awake, to self-calm to fall asleep.
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dentistry 43 years experience
Take charge!: Stop the sweeties, no soda or sweet teas, healthy foods only! you be in charge of oral hygiene and brush your baby's teeth. If necessary, use a wet wash cloth to clean the tooth paste out of the mouth. The remaining tiny should be safe to swallow. Work hard at this and you and your child will be rewarded!