Greer, SC

My gallbladder was removed in 1999. still have large, soft, foul smelling stools and urge to go after breakfast but not many urges otherwise. normal?

Dr. Martin Raff
Infectious Disease 56 years experience
Sounds normal: But if you have foul smelling stools you may want to get a stool exam to make sure not having giardiasis. But first might try increasing the fiber in your diet or get a fiber extract otc. Another step might be to try and change bowel flora thru use of unpasteurized yogurt or a probiotic that your friendly pharmacist can guide you to.
Dr. Joey Bluhm
General Surgery 17 years experience
Maybe: One complication from gallbladder removal is post-cholecystectomy syndrome. It is very rare and occurs from the intestine not adjusting to the lack of a gush of bile from the gallbladder. Your liver will still make bile and send it directly to the intestine. I would suggest following the previous recs and try limiting fats from your diet.

Last updated Jan 14, 2017