NY

my father, who is 85 years old has parkinson's disease and is periodically having very strong heat flashes that come on suddenly . has this issue su?

Dr. Joan Sy
Dr. Joan Syanswered
Bring Him In 2 B Sur: It is unusual for the elderly to produce a fever. Measure his temperature during such events if possible, even a temp of 100.5 is signif. I recommend for him to be evaluated by his primary care doc, it could be a significant infection which in the elderly can make them just tired or to have different behaviors disguised, when there is an actual underlying infection that needs to be treated.
Dr. Mark Fisher
Neurology 34 years experience
Vasomotor symptoms: Parkinson's disease affects the autonomic nervous as well as the somatic motor system. Episodes of sudden cutaneous vasodilation-vasoconstriction do occur in Parkinson's disease, usually later in the course. They can be very unpleasant. Also be sure to review his meds: They're a common side effect of many drugs. Make sure his doctor knows; associated hypotension needs to be ruled out.