U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 58-year-old member asked:

my father, who is 85 years old has parkinson's disease and is periodically having very strong heat flashes that come on suddenly . has this issue su?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Joan Sy
Dr. Joan Syanswered
Family Medicine 28 years experience
Bring Him In 2 B Sur: It is unusual for the elderly to produce a fever. Measure his temperature during such events if possible, even a temp of 100.5 is signif. I recommend for him to be evaluated by his primary care doc, it could be a significant infection which in the elderly can make them just tired or to have different behaviors disguised, when there is an actual underlying infection that needs to be treated.
Dr. Mark Fisher
Neurology 34 years experience
Vasomotor symptoms: Parkinson's disease affects the autonomic nervous as well as the somatic motor system. Episodes of sudden cutaneous vasodilation-vasoconstriction do occur in Parkinson's disease, usually later in the course. They can be very unpleasant. Also be sure to review his meds: They're a common side effect of many drugs. Make sure his doctor knows; associated hypotension needs to be ruled out.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A 35-year-old member asked:

How can I cope with the stress of being a new parent?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Maritza Baez
Family Medicine 17 years experience
Stay active: Exercise is a great way to relieve stress. Your body releases endorphins during exercise, which can help you feel calm. If you exercise 30 - 60 minutes a day, your stress levels can improve. When stressed, take 5 slow, deep breaths with your eyes closed, then roll your shoulders forward 5 times, then back 5 times. This will slow your heart rate and release tension in your neck and shoulders.
A member asked:

Am I a bad mother if I don't breastfeed?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Salil Gupta
Pediatrics 35 years experience
No: Of course not. It is a personal choice for you and you should not feel guilty if you choose not to breast feed your baby. If you look at all the reasons why breast milk is better for your baby and you choose not to brestfeed as a personal preference, it is ok. I would suggest you look up the advantages of breast milk and discuss this with your pediatrician too.
A 31-year-old member asked:

How can I manage hot flashes while pregnant?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Scott Kramer
Gynecology 36 years experience
Layer clothes: Hot flashes during pregnancy are benign, may be due to increase in circulation, increased body weight and effort required for movement, or perhaps hormonal (different than menopause). Layering clothes that can be easily shed is a popular strategy.
A 36-year-old member asked:

Is deep brain stimulation suggested for Parkinson's disease?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Larry Armstrong
Neurosurgery 27 years experience
Yes: It is more successful than creating lesions within the brain. It is especially good in younger onset patients- yet can be placed in middle age patients. The location of the stimulation is what the neurosurgeon will determine to achieve the best benefit. Look for a specialist in functional neurosurgery.
Dr. Zachary Levine
Neurosurgery 28 years experience
You work with your neurosurgeon and neurologist to achieve the best results. This is a cooperative effort. Choose specialists with experience and a team that communicates well
May 28, 2014
A 43-year-old member asked:

I am 26 yr old mother of a 8 month old and I want to get my tubes tied. Who will do it?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Wayne Ingram
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
A OB-GYN MD: The " operative question", regardless of chronological age is, - do you ever see the need to have further children under any circumstances?(loss of existing child, divorce, new husband, etc.) if the answer is a resounding no, then "proceed past go" on the "board of life" and have the procedure done(not always reversible) understanding that it will permanently preclude future childbearing except ivf.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated Jun 23, 2019

People also asked

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.