can panic attacks or anxiety like symptoms be caused by physical and emotional stress?

Yes: Yes, stress can be a trigger for anxiety or for a panic attack.
Dr. Judith Tellerman
Clinical Psychology 42 years experience
Panic: It is advisable to get a physical exam with your Primary Care Physician to rule out underlying illness that could cause these symptoms. If you are not ill, anxiety can cause harm to your body leading to higher blood pressure, faster heart beat, shallower breathing,etc. It is recommended that you consult with a Clinical Psychologist for Psychotherapy and a Psychiatrist additionally for medication.