TX

what medicine may i take if i'm pregnant for the symptoms of sore throat fever and aches?

Dr. Aamir Siddiqi
Acetaminophen: Not many medicines are studied well in pregnancy, the one that is certainly found to be safe is Acetaminophen (tylenol). Taking 2 tabs of extra strength (500mg) every 6 hrs is safe. Although most sore throat is viral sometime it is strep and needs antibiotics which are safe. You may use other conservative measures as warm salt water gargles for 2 days but if not better get it checked out.
Dr. PHILLIP KIM
General Practice 15 years experience
Tylenol (acetaminophen) : Warm salt gargle and tylenol (acetaminophen) is safe during pregnancy. Avoid Ibuprofen since evidence now support preterm labor as a risk.
Dr. Marsha Davis
Tylenol (acetaminophen): And gargle with warm salty water.
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Tylenol (acetaminophen): Tylenol (acetaminophen) is, by far, the safest of all pain medication to take for the symptoms you described. Although, Ibuprofen is assigned to category b drugs (safe), there is a growing body of evidence that it may be responsible for miscarriages if used in the first trimester. Its use in the third trimester is strongly discouraged due to premature ductus arteriosus closure. Drink plenty of fluids. This helps.
Dr. Megan Bird
First see your doc: What you describe could be a cold but could also be the flu. Colds are going to go away on your own and you can take robitussin, tylenol (acetaminophen) and saline nasal sprays. Flu can be very very serious in pregnancy and is treated with special anti-viral medication.