Can i get lun cancer from smoking half of a cigarette?

Pathology 44 years experience
No: I hope you mean you smoked half of one cig and no more, ever. I'm glad you didn't take up the habit.

What are the chances that I would get cancer from smoking cigarettes? Does everyone who smokes get cancer?

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
No, not everyone: There are more than 50 million smokers in the US, and about 1 million people a year get cancer, and about half of them will die from it. Over 90% of the 200 thousand deaths per year of lung and head/neck cancer are directly due to smoking, as are many other kinds of cancer (often smoking together with excessive alcohol use). Smoking also kills people from heart attack, stroke and other illnesses.
Hopkinsville, KY

How quickly can you get cancer from smoking cigarettes, but only for like 10 months and not everyday?

Dr. Carlo Contreras
Unpredictable: You may never get cancer. Some people smoke all their lives and never get cancer. Scientifically we can't really predict if or when smokers will get cancer. So, my best advice is to quit, or never to start! from what you describe, your risk is very low.

Hey docs, I am wondering what are the chances that i would get cancer from smoking cigarettes only a few times?

Dr. Charles Sturgis
Pathology 29 years experience
Low.: Smoking a few cigarettes (say one pack) is very unlikely to increase risk of cancer. This is not an endorsement for smoking. Tobacco products kill countless people in north america every year. Tobacco is potentially lethal and using tobacco products is dangerous not glamorous. Smoking cessation is good for health and for the wallet, as cigs cost a lot of money.

I was curious what cancers can you get from smoking?

Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Almost all: I believe that smoking can be a risk factor in almost all cancers but lung and stomach cancers are the most common.

I was wondering what are some cancers that you can get from smoking?

Dr. Carlos Encarnacion
Medical Oncology 35 years experience
A LOT: Head and neck (oral cavity, tongue, tonsils, throat), lung, kidney, bladder, esophagus, and many others. Don't discount the damage it does to the lungs (COPD) and the cardiovascular system (coronary disease, stroke). Smoking is an effective way to slowly kill yourself while paying others to achieve it. Stay away from all tobacco products and encourage your friends and family to do the same.

Last updated Apr 22, 2014