first time braces, what can i expect?

Dr. David Schleimer
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Discomfort>delight: Orthodontic treatment for the most part is comprised of very little discomfort and great pleasure in watching your teeth slowly but surely move toward the creation of a beautiful smile. Initial discomfort lasts for few days to a week, and on occasional visits short periods of discomfort. Looking at process as a whole, there will be minor bumps in the road leading to a great lasting smile.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Period of adjustment: It will take a few days for you to get used to tooth movement and the strange feel of the new orthodontic alliances. Keep your mouth scrupulously clean, take Ibuprofen and rinse with salt water, put orthodontic wax onto any "stickers", and you should adjust in a short period of time.
Dr. Stephen Carter
Orthodontics 44 years experience
Some discomfort.: Teeth will be sore for a few days. It will probably hurt to chew and/or touch your teeth together. Keeping everything very clean will help the soreness go away sooner. If your orthodontist allows it, chewing sugarless gum can help the soreness go away faster.
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Orthodontics 28 years experience
Minor discomfort: Think "headache in your mouth" for a couple of days-- nothing extreme. Most patients are fine with a little ibuprofin. It may take 60-90 minutes to put them on though.
Dr. S. jay Bowman
Orthodontics 36 years experience
Some discomfort: Certainly, beautiful results at the end. However, there will be some time of acclimation to the braces at the beginning (discomfort, annoyance, sores). Regular appointments every 4-8 weeks are also required. Compliance with recommendations by your orthodontist is also required for success.