A 36-year-old member asked:
Disclaimer

i rinsed my contact in water then wore them for about 5 minutes, took them out, and rubbed them in solution. am i at risk of getting acanthamoeba keratitis or another infection?

1 doctor answer
Dr. Tim Conrad
34 years experience Ophthalmology
Little risk: There is a risk of acanthamoeba keratitis from using tap water on your contacts. One exposure to water is a very low risk of infection.
Answered on Jan 29, 2013

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month

Related questions:

A 34-year-old member asked:
Dr. Heidi Fowler
25 years experience Psychiatry
Please clarify: Don't understand what you are asking. Can clarify and re-ask.
A 38-year-old member asked:
Dr. David Chandler
33 years experience Ophthalmology
Eye exam: Only through an eye exam can an infection be classified as bacterial, viral (most common), fungal (rare), or protozoal (acanthamoeba - most rare). Aca ... Read More
A 35-year-old member asked:
Dr. Amin Ashrafzadeh
24 years experience Ophthalmology
Acanthamoeba : Acanthamoeba is a devastating infection of the cornea. The parasites live in water. People with contact lenses trap the organisms under the contact ... Read More
A 18-year-old male asked:
Dr. Tim Conrad
34 years experience Ophthalmology
Very low: Acanthamoeba keratitis is associated with poor contact lens hygiene, and the use of home-made contact lens solutions. If you follow your eye doctor's ... Read More
1
1 thank

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month