getting my wisdom teeth out tomorrow - any tips or suggestions on what to expect?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Chad Gretzula
Specializes in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Expect discomfort: I tell all my patients that for 2-3 days after surgery your not going to be happy with me. You are having 4 teeth taken out of your mouth and even if i take them out with my fingers you will still hurt some. Many people dont have much discomfort but most do. Make sure you get good pain medicine and talk to your surgeon about antibiotics and steroids for postop. Good luck!
Answered on Jan 14, 2016
1
2
Dr. Mark Venincasa
35 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
I think it would be best to call the office of where your surgeon is. They get feedback from their own patients. They understand what their patients can anticipate.
Jan 29, 2013
Dr. Thomas Yash
46 years experience Dentistry
Patience: It is a little harder on a patient your age so take care of self. Follow the post-op instructions by the surgeon. Use ice on jaws the first 24 hrs. Take the pain medication the first day regularly not to let the cycle of pain to start. Drink more water. Soft diet or protein enhanced drinks(ensure). Rest and limit physical activities for the first two days. Most people have little problems.
Answered on Feb 4, 2013