will my eye color change if i have dark colored eyes?

Dr. Tim Conrad
Ophthalmology 34 years experience
No: Eyes do not change color.

Will my eye color change to paler as I age?

Dr. Soheila Rostami
Specializes in Ophthalmology
Arcus sinalis: All of us as we get old near the limbus (edge of the cornea) over the clear part of our eye, we get deposits that make the clear part turn white. That makes our iris color less obvious and pale. Also as we get old our iris atrophy and gets thinner with less pigment on it.

Why would my eye color change to red in photo?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 52 years experience
Light direction: Pupils normally look dark, as the direct light path would in fact be from behind your head, which blocks that. Cameras with a light source closely aligned to the lens, can cause the red eye which is in fact the natural color of the back of the eye. Lighter, larger pupils are more prone to this. To eliminate this if you take pictures is tell the subject to look at your shoulder.

What could be causing my eye color to change?

Dr. Alan Jackson
Addiction Medicine 30 years experience
Medications: There are some medications that can darken the color of the eye. This is nothing serious but worth having an ophthalmologist evaluate it.

What are reasons why would my eye color change?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 52 years experience
Corneal changes: The iris of the eye which is the structure which gives the colors we usually attribute to the eyes (blue, brown, hazel, etc.), cannot change even when diseased. If you notice a change in the color it is probably some change in the cornea which can develop deposits making it whitish which blends in with the iris color. If this is a rapid change, check with your ophthalmologist for understanding.

Why might my eye color change?

Dr. Sandra Lora Cremers
Ophthalmology 25 years experience
Eyes: Send a photo as this is not normal. Could be an underlying iron deposition disease or arcus senilus from high cholesterol. We can run some blood tests to see if serious.

Last updated Jan 25, 2013