U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 48-year-old member asked:

my mother has the sickle cell trait but is it possible that i do not?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Tammi Schlichtemeier
Pediatrics 31 years experience
Yes: A parent who carries sickle cell trait, gives a 50/50 chance of passing it to a child. Two parents who have sickle cell trait give each child a 25 % chance of no trait, 50% chance of trait and a 25% chance of having sickle cell dz. Read more at www.Cooleysanemia.Com.
Dr. Scott Diede
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
I would recommend http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/sicklecell/index.html for more information.
Feb 10, 2013
Dr. James Ball
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology 19 years experience
Yes. : If your mom has sickle trait and your father has normal hemoglobin, then it's a 50-50 chance that you will inherit the sickle cell trait.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month

Similar questions

IL
A 41-year-old female asked:

My father has a rare type of sickle cell that affects his WBC's instead of RBC's. Is there any information on this type of Sickle Cell Trait?

2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Pathology 49 years experience
Contradiction in: terms. WBCs do not have sickle cell disorder. Sickle cell disorder is due to a variant hemoglobin and only RBCs have hemoglobin in any quantity to undergo sickling.

Related questions

A 50-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
A 40-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 27-year-old female asked:
3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month
Last updated Jul 4, 2014
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits
$15 per month

Disclaimer:

Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.