DE

what accounts for the dramatic change in the smell of someone's breath?

Dr. Kenneth Smith
Many factors: Diet being primary. Dental oral health next. Certain aromas to breath does provide clues to disease states. Kidney disease liver disease and sometimes diabetes.
Dr. Paul Diamond
Bacteria: Often just some bacteria lodging on the mouth, tongue, or gingiva.
Dr. Robert Hofstetter
General Practice 45 years experience
Several causes: Gastro-intestinal problems are the most common cause; acid reflux is a common cause- change in diet. Oral health can be causative- tooth or gum abscess ; also, sinus or throat infections.