Palo Alto, CA

is ozone a better treatment than micro discectomy for l4-l5 hernia with sciatica?

Dr. David Benglis
Neurosurgery 17 years experience
Ozone: No, either no surgery/conservative mgmt and if that fails consider surgery. Ozone is a non proven experimental procedure and definitely not mainstream.
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management 17 years experience
Neither: is first line treatment or standard of care for a herniated disk. Suggest core strengthening exercises first, then maybe consider epidural steroid injections and facet joint treatments if needed. After that surgery can be considered. Only time surgery is first line is if you are having weakness, loss of function of bowel or bladder or extreme pain not resolved with above treatments.